In case you can’t tell, when I think of luxury I think of Louis Vuitton. As little girl looking through magazines would lust over that “LV” that I knew would forever be out of reach… and after I graduated college, I saved up to buy my very first Speedy 35. I still have that bag and it still makes me so proud because I can see my little girl self smiling every time I carry it. So what better way to ring in 2011 than with 11 facts about one of the most famous and fabulous luxury brands in the world?
11 Things You Might Not Know About Louis Vuitton
- 99% of all “Vuittons” in the world are fake
- Louis Vuitton celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2004.
- Louis Vuitton opened his first store in 1854, he began making handbags after the 1892 world’s fair
- The world’s first flat top trunk was created by Louis Vuitton in 1858
- The first LVs sold in the United States were sold in 1898 by Wanamaker’s department stores.
- Louis Vuitton didn’t design jewelry until 2001 when Marc Jacobs introduced a charm bracelet, watches came a year later.
- Though it’s been around since 1930, the Speedy didn’t gain a massive following until it was redesigned for Audrey Hepburn in the 60s.
- Vuitton HQ is in Florence, Italy
- Louis Vuitton was born in Jura, France in 1821.
- The “LV” monogram was originally meant to foil counterfeiting attempts
- When the Louis Vuitton Building opened on the Champs-Elysees it was the largest travel-goods store in the world