1. Have you ever looked at someone’s blog and thought yours will never measure up?
All the time, especially since I’m really just getting started! I see all the months and years of content and the amazing outfit of the day posts and all the connections people have in the industry and feel like I’m playing out of my league.
2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers?
I did at first, but then I realized that the bloggers I love best are the ones who do their own thing.
3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging?
I don’t think you have to, but it does help. I’m a daily blogger, so if I didn’t have how-tos and lots of different interests to fill my posts, they would get repetitive pretty quickly! But successful writers come in all different shapes and sizes and I don’t think you can specify certain skills (aside from writing skills) as must haves.
4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice – how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours?
I’m new to blogging for others but I’ve been writing for a long time and had a lot of creative writing opportunities that encouraged me to find my voice. When I write, I usually put down the facts I want to say first (like an outline) and then start typing as if I was speaking to someone about the topic; I read my drafts out loud to make sure they sound natural and conversational. It takes two or three times, but I’m usually pretty happy with the end result 🙂
5. Toot your own horn… what’s one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog? What gives your blog an edge?
My most successful posts have been my how-tos. It’s funny because that was a type of post I was so afraid to do at first (how could I think I was an expert in anything?), but now I’m gaining confidence. I love that my posts actually help people and it’s even better when they leave comments with their results!
Want to see what the other Fashion Friday bloggers have to say? Check out ModlyChic for a complete list 🙂