1. How do you determine what you will wear that day?
Since it’s so cold in Rochester most of the year, I usually dress for the weather, so that means checking my phone the night before and seeing what it’ll be like outside. I usually pick one piece (knee-high snow calls for tall boots) and then build the rest of the outfit around that.
2. Do you plan outfits out in advance for a whole week, month,
I really only plan my outfits if I have a big event (I’m already figuring out what to wear for graduation!). Other than that, the most I plan ahead is the night before, or if I buy something new and get excited about wearing it I’ll plan around that 🙂
3. Do you have any specific way of tracking outfits and items already worn so you don’t repeat?
I work at a college, so I see the same people on Monday-Wednesday and Tuesday-Thursday and I try not to repeat on those days. Other than that, I don’t worry about repeating too much.
4. How do you discover new combinations of items in your closet? (Trial try-ons? Hanging items together?)
Mostly I look through magazines and fashion blogs for inspriation. If I see someone wear a pencil skirt in a new way I like, I’ll look through my closet and see what I can do to incorporate that idea into my wardrobe. I also go through my closet every couple months and redo everything so I remember what I have, sometimes when things get shoved to the back I forget I have them!
5. To streamline the process for 2011 what is one new thing you can do to cut down your dressing time?
Actually move my laundry from the laundry room back into the closet! If I have a piece in mind that I want to wear, I have to look two places to try to find it.